It’s starting already. My craving for all things fall has kicked in and I’m already dreaming of it. I think I finally figured out this year what the trigger is: when it starts to noticeably get darker earlier in the evening, right around now, I start to want autumn. We’ve hardly had summer and I’m already on to fall. You always want what you can’t have.
When this feeling strikes, I start making a ‘look book’ of what I want to wear, what I want to eat, how I want to decorate my house. I’ll make another one of these right around November, because I love the holidays and it’s my own little way to celebrate their upcoming arrival. What do you think of when you think of fall? I think of:
- Knee high boots with skirts and scarves
- Boots with tights, slim jeans, leggings, anything. Love my boots.
- Scarves in general
- Cozy sweaters
- Soft socks
- A crackling fire in the fireplace
- The grape vines slowly turning red, yellow, orange
- The trees doing the same
- Crocheting a rainy afternoon away
- Apple picking
- Pie baking
- A pumpkin patch afternoon spent with a child you love
- Spiced cider
- An autumn picnic, replete with warm sandwiches, a thermos of soup, red wine and an extra blanket to spread in your lap
- Beef stew and a loaf of freshly made crusty bread for wiping the bowl clean
- Decorating for Halloween
- The smell of that first fall rain
- The smell of harvest in the air in the wine country
- That beautiful golden hour, when the light starts to fall and the world has that magical quality (for me this is every sunset in October)
- Our wedding
- My very first wedding anniversary
The list goes on. What’s your favorite part about fall?